Monday, November 30, 2009

Molasses In My Coffee


I just had to show you all a photo of my little Asian pear tree. Cross your fingers that I planted it correctly. The 14 yr old, AKA EmoCracker, loves Asian pears and at 1.50 apiece I thought growing them would be a good thing.

I learned some new things today so I thought I'd pass them on. For a year or so I've read here and there about the 100 mile diet. For a lot of folks it is a great way to lessen their carbon footprint and raise the quality of the food they eat. I don't worry too much about it. I grow everything I can out back in the yard. But I can't grow anything that can be used as a sweetener.
I know, I know, I could start keeping bees. I don't know beans about keeping bees so I've decided that project will just have to wait.
So I decided to try putting molasses in my coffee. I have some that is produced across the river in Kentucky so that's within the 100 mile limit. I tried it and it was goooood. Then I read the label, 'cause I'm a Mom and that's what we do. Turns out molasses provides potassium, magnesium and iron.  WHO KNEW? Yes, it does have sugars but the fact that I'm getting a little nutrition from my sweetener thrills me to no end.


I do realize there is no coffee produced within 100 miles of where I live. I've decided my coffee consumption is medicinal and therefore does not count.

2 comments:

  1. You can grow stevia as sweetner. I have a plant that has been in the same container for 10 years going dormant in winter and coming back each spring. It has no special requirements other than do not over water. I found my plant at a Herb Farm but I have recently seen it at Publix and also Bonnie Plants is now selling it. Just have to find a Bonnie Plant dealer. Good Luck with the Asian Pear. It is my favorite also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestion. I grew stevia last spring and summer. I still have it out in the herb patch. I used it several times in our iced tea. I found it had a bit of an aftertaste that was not noticable in our tea but I don't like it in my coffee.
    I'm glad to know that it'll come back in the spring so I can experiment some more with this interesting plant.

    ReplyDelete